Delicious Vegetarian Lasagna
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
- 2 large zucchini, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium red or green bell peppers, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 container (15 oz) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup fat-free or reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish and sheet of foil (large enough to cover dish) with cooking spray. Cook lasagna noodles as directed on package; drain.
Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet or Dutch oven, heat sherry to boiling over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers and salt. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach, basil and oregano. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; drain well.
In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Place 3 cooked noodles in bottom of baking dish. Top with 1/3 of ricotta mixture and 1/3 of vegetable mixture. Repeat layers 2 more times. Top with remaining 3 lasagna noodles, the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Cover tightly with foil, sprayed side down.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Uncover baking dish; bake 5 minutes longer or until top is light golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut into squares.